Tuesday, August 30, 2011

HOME

Home means something different to everyone. For me, home is four people I am blessed to live life with.

Home is a twenty year old, vegetarian, bride in tears, trying to be a good wife and make beef tacos for her new husband. She stopped crying and I was a vegetarian for the next 10 years.

Home is true tickle-tackles from a sister threesome ganging up on dad, and tumbling into a pile of 13 loads of clean laundry strewn on the bedroom floor. We wear clean clothes that find their place off the shelves and out of the dressers. What can I say, we all loath folding laundry.

Home is hours of chalk games drawn on the driveway, jimmy-rigged zip lines, blue hammock swings, and choice trees to be personal space. The endless thoughts and creative minds of my home transforms ordinary space into a world of endless adventures.

Home is bedtime prayers, made up songs about apple tree, worms, poop, and barf, lullabies, stories when I was young, and whispers from my oldest, "I really am sorry I told you not to sing when I was little. I really do like your voice. No seriously, I do." I am not sure who she is trying to convince, me or herself. Nonetheless, it is a sweet way to close the bedroom door behind me.

Home is balled up on each end of the couch, early morning conversations with my wife while sipping coffee, and looking out the living room window. It is not what we are talking about, it is that we are talking. Conversations are sweet in the early of a new day.

Home means something different to everyone. Whether I lived in the forest, city, suburb, country, or the moon, it would not matter where, because home is the people I am blessed to live life with.

Home is that tear filled eye lid brimming over, rolling salty water down my cheek, while I write. I get a rush of heart-racing warmth when I think of home.

Home is my family.


2 comments:

  1. home. what a wonderfully pregnant word, full of something round and warm and sweet. this post is beautiful and teaches me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, i can´t write a post as good as jedidiah´s but i have to say, i have been thinking about your family so much and have been trying to remember what your blog was so that i could have a little glimpse into your lives while i am away. i searched my sister´s blog for a comment from you and i am so glad i found it again. i have been reading these and just smiling the whole time. your words are beautiful but what makes them even more beautiful is that i know the amazing girls you write about and the amazing life that you live. i miss you guys more than you know. i truly love and miss all five of you. give yourselves a group hug from me :)

    ReplyDelete