Saturday, August 27, 2011

something fun about playing...

there is something fun about playing,
a delightful feeling that brims over.
it sometimes takes a lot to get me,
once i am caught i am free to laugh.

today i trudged through the towers,
my beastly companion by my side.
spears dodged as we trekked through
briars and wound our way passed.
passing knobby trippers, and rolling
obstacles placed from wind blown nights.
we found our way back.
he panted. i laughed in a hammock.

the day continued to yell to me, "come away!"
the dimmest whisper became a roar
as the ocean came into full view.
the sun spun bright above as the blue encircled.
as my bare feet sunk into the sizzling sand,
i spread my toes and ran to the surf.
waves tumbling in song, while the ancients
of the sky soared in airstreams above.
into the deep i swam, contending with the seals,
the sharks, the dolphins, and the otters.
we played well together. giving space to be us
amongst the kelp and green deep.

as i walked content back to my life
i smiled a full grin. shirt off, barefoot,
sidewalk strolling, back to my life, i smiled.
i thought, "there is something fun about playing."
i laughed out loud.
a woman watering her plants looked up and stared.
i smiled at her and said, "nice dahlias."
she smiled.



4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fills me with joy. I found myself laughing as I read it! Thank you for your words, Eric. They are always moving, and this time it's literal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is just so much you in this. Reading it is bittersweet. Sweet because of the joy. Sweet because of you and your heart. The bitter is how long it is since I've seen you. But the sweet is stronger.

    ReplyDelete