Friday, November 4, 2011

dad of daughters

everyday i wake up and desire to be a better dad. i know every dad is an individual man, but i think there are some ways we can love our children similarly and have a good impact on their lives. being a camp director it is easy to weigh out how i am doing as a dad and decide i am a "good" dad (whatever that means). recently my wife sent me a link to a list of ways to be a better dad to your daughter (or daughters in my case). it was challenging, encouraging, and brought tears. i recommend checking it out.

i find myself more and more needing to take deep breathes and step away so that my "awe-tears" (as i like to call them) do not stop my daughters from doing what they are doing. i am swept away by their unique, individual ways of navigating through their days. they are beautiful. i need to tell them everyday. they are brilliant. i need to remind them. my wife is breath-taking. i need to swoop her up and kiss her more often. i am a pretty good guy, and i want my daughters to know that they are fully deserving of a person who will love them with unrelenting love, and honor them. i do not care if i am a "good" dad compared to others. all that matters is that my daughters know that i am a good dad, and a great man.

2 comments:

  1. you are a GREAT dad! Your girls LOVE you so much. What an inspiration you and Sarah both are to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed
    in-deed
    you are a father whose love is worth studying with focused eyes. i love what you say about them knowing they are "fully deserving of a person who will love them with unrelenting love, and honor them"

    ReplyDelete