Tuesday, May 31, 2011

schol-ar-ship (skol-er-ship)

-noun 
a sum of money or other aid granted to a student, because of merit, need, etc., to pursue his or her studies.

i once received a full ride academic scholarship to a college in portland, oregon. i did not even ask for it. i was awarded it while attending a summer camp in the sierra foothills near fresno, california. it made college less stressful for my parents and i. it was nice not having to ask. it felt good to be recognized for my hard work.

i award scholarships these days. not for notable accomplishments, but for need. the humble request of parents and foster agencies is enough for me to say yes. sometimes it does not even take asking. there are children that cross my path that i know were placed there for me to notice and invite. 

it is not hard for me to say yes. i remember how it felt to be awarded a scholarship. to be invited to attend without burden or strain. i do not say no to anyone in need. i like to think it is a noble quality of my character. some may say i am "soft", but it is honorable to grant opportunity when it is in your power to do so.

"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, 
when it is in your power to do it." Proverb 3:27


1 comment:

  1. So true! Miss you guys - we wish we could be there this summer. I am loving your posts - keep writing please.

    ReplyDelete