Sunday, May 8, 2011

lighthouse tower

i have learned a lot in my life from the many people who have been written into my story. the significance of my father was unknown to me until my adult years. i am a reflection of him in so many ways. he is steady in his faith and relies on god through all seasons. he does not change for status or reputation. he is consistently present, steadfast, and loyal. he seeks to serve and help the downtrodden. when i was young i was unsure how to know him. it seemed i was wired like my mother, and they are complete opposites. as the years have passed and i have found myself, there i see my father. he is a good person. he is a true friend. i see him as a lighthouse tower. sometimes when i am overwhelmed on the road, or swamped with work expectations and deadlines, i call my dad. he can tell that my silence on the line equals tears, and he waits. moments later he asks, "is everything going okay?" it is not his advise i seek as much as it is his voice. his calm, steady voice is like a beacon of light.  i know that whatever i am facing i can find safe harbor. in another life i imagine myself a sailor. just as the forest entangles around me, i can imagine the waters engulfing me and my soul finding home at sea. even though some may think my dad and i should be on a ship together, i would argue, i need him to remain on shore, calm and steady as my lighthouse tower. i find so much of him in me, we are never too far a part.

1 comment:

  1. This one was very touching to me. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete