Sunday, December 11, 2011

Reading The Bible In Church

I asked the congregation to open up their bibles, or bible app on their phone while I read some scripture out loud. It was something new. It was out of my comfort in regards to reading in front of others, but it was rich. A friend of mine who communes at the same church gathering mentioned recently that he wished we would be asked to open our bibles more so that when we need the verse that was taught, or simply wanted to read it ourselves we would know how to find it. I thought it was such a good idea and that it would be great if someone would have us do that, and then I realized, I am that someone. Being a host pastor of a video service was definitely not in my plan. I still sometimes wonder what I am doing there, but it gives me opportunity to share my heart and love for Jesus. Today was one of those days when I was able to use my position to bring about a little change. Every Christmas since I was a child I would remind my family that we needed to read the "Story of Jesus" together. Even now I am the one who gathers our family together and reads the story out loud. I love the Bible. I studied it intensely right out of secondary school, and I read it passionately. I still am blown away by the story of Joseph the "Dad" of Jesus. What God has at work in our lives does not always make sense when we logically look at it, but when we trust and look with eyes given to us through the Holy Spirit it may not make sense but it is much clearer. I hope you enjoy reading the scripture I read in church today. It was a good day. 


The Birth of Jesus Christ

18 Now the birth of uJesus Christ1 took place in this way. vWhen his mother Mary had been betrothed2 to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child wfrom the Holy Spirit. 19 And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling xto put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. 20 But as he considered these things, behold, yan angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a son, and zyou shall call his name Jesus, afor he will save his people from their sins.” 22 bAll this took place cto fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:
23 d“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall call his name eImmanuel”
(which means, God fwith us). 24 When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, 25 but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And ghe called his name Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. so true. i love it when we are asked to open our bibles at church. it forces you to look and learn from the true source. love this, eric. you have an amazing position at church, and do such a great job at it.

    ReplyDelete