Tuesday, December 6, 2011

"I have no idea where I am going." -Thomas Merton


I use to think it was strange that I did not know how to answer the questions that come up in life about what you want to do, or where you want to go. I don't think it is strange anymore. Everyday we are faced with new decisions and challenges. There have been seasons where I didn't know how I would wake up and even days I wasn't sure I wanted to. Fear of loss, sadness, tragedy, and the burden of being the bearer of bad news robbed me. I laid naked before the world. Seemingly stripped of all my worth I curled up into a fetal ball and waited for the dawn.

I rose one morning and ran for the hills and when my stride lessened and my side ached I stopped running. Along a road I had never traveled or could recall starting on, I found myself. Heart pounding cheeks salty from sweat and tears, I screamed. Pacing right and left, shaking hysterically, I suddenly collapsed. I strewn my limbs out across the road, cheek against the damp soil, I wept. I was lost. I had cried so much for those lives that were now gone and nothing I was doing or had done could have kept them here. It didn't matter. I didn't matter.

My heart steadied and my tears subsided. Gathering my arms up and pulling my legs together, I found myself bent over in a posture of some sort of bow. I will never forget the sighing, deep breath I took in that instance. It was life giving. Nothing that had happened, nothing that I had done, and nothing that I would do mattered. All I needed to know was that I was alive.

I walked the long eight miles back to my home. I swung in the hammock hanging in our front yard, and I slept. Hours later when I awoke, I knew something had changed. I died of a broken heart from the tragedy of death, but I chose to live again and remember my hearts desire. I do not know where I am going in this life, but I live for another.  I don't know what I will do forever, but I know that I want to please God. Somedays I don't even know what that means, but I know my desire to please him is what matters the most.


"MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know
nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my
perils alone."
-Thomas Merton

2 comments:

  1. We have this prayer on our fridge. One of my dad's favorites. I find it comforting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eric,

    i do not know where i am going. my life is currently filled with questions of the future that i am utterly incapable of answering. i am striving with all of my being to follow the Lord's quiet voice of direction, but i doubt my discernment and i fear that i have gone wrong.

    "i believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you."

    your words have brought me such peace in the midst of this confusion. thank you for consistently reminding me of where my true comfort and peace lie.

    ReplyDelete