Saturday, February 4, 2012

Forest Found Freedom :: "barefoot amongst the leaves."


Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer. Camp out among the grasses and gentians of glacial meadows, in craggy garden nooks full of nature's darlings. Climb the mountains and get their good tidings, Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but nature's sources never fail.
John Muir - Our National Parks (1901)








My youngest was born of the forest and it is here that she dwells fully alive and present to everything happening around her. Without prompting or permission she removes her shoes and walks barefoot amongst the leaves. The sunlight dances about the branches and cast shadows on the forest floor. Like a game of hopscotch my daughter jumps from one light square to another. As I venture away from the forest, I carry it within me. It is in the forest that I dwell fully alive and present to everything happening around me. I am her father. She holds the forest sacred as I do. It speaks to us in a language only some hear and very few understand. The God whispers, and spirit giggles that carry throughout, are carried within us. Go into the forest and let the good tidings and warmth of sun bathe you in the Glory gifted you in that moment, and remember it when the forest is not near, so that you always return, and invite a friend to discover themselves again. It is in the forest that we are truly found. Truly free.

2 comments:

  1. that john muir quote may change my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quote. I think I'd like to read the whole book.

    ReplyDelete