Monday, October 24, 2011

teach me.

"Show me your ways, O Lord,
teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.

Remember, O Lord, your great mercy
and love,
for they are from of old.

Remember not the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you are good, O Lord."


Psalm 25: 4-7





what will i be remembered for? when i graduated from high school my greatest fear was being forgotten. as i forged my way down gumdrop lane (my life was free of trials back then), i was wide-eyed ambitious to share God's love with anyone. somehow his mercy got lost in translation and my ambition turned to arrogance. my heart became judgmental and i swerved off the lane and into my own path. still clinging to my Christian title for identity and social meter, i lost sight of the truth of God. what will i be remembered for?

today i live in one of the most majestic places on earth. the giant redwood forest surrounds my home. i can be sinking my feet in the sand and letting the whitewash of waves lap on my feet in less than forty five minutes. everywhere i look i can see God's artistry. twenty years has passed since i graduated from high school and the gumdrop lane is more of a jagged trail with turnabouts every fifty feet. i know the sting of judgement and the loss of friendships and family due to my pretentious religious youth. what will i be remembered for?

teach me. please God, continue to make me more like you. as the morning sun peeks through the fog and branches outside my living room window, i am warmed. i am reminded that God has never forgotten me. God is good. through all the many failures and triumphs years past have brought, i have hope. what will i be remembered for?

i never stopped learning.

God, teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment