Monday, October 10, 2011

I reject Columbus Day...

"They...brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawks' bells. They willingly traded everything they owned...They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features...They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They had no iron. Their spears are made of cane...They would make fine servants...With fifty men we could subjugate [over-power] them and make them do whatever we want." 
-Excerpts from Columbus's ship log

I want mail to come. I do not want people to have the day off. If we are to take a paid holiday today, then let it be Arawak Day. We have far more to learn from them than we do from Columbus, Hitler, or Joseph Kony. I wonder what children learn today. Do they learn of the seaman or the murderer, the civilized or the monster, the lies or the truth? I remember making paper boats and headdresses out of construction paper. I remember the teacher asking if anyone's ancestors came over on one of Columbus's ships. I remember that teachers never asked if anyone's ancestors were "Indians". I wonder if the teachers knew the truth and were miseducating, or if they were miseducated themselves. I don't know that it matters. It is reality. We must know the truth of our history if we are ever going to become changed. I do not believe we are better than our history, but i believe we can make far better decisions. Christopher Columbus was a man who made a lot of decisions and out of those decisions the genocide to the Arawak people occurred. When Columbus led the search for gold in 1495 there were 250,000 Arawaks. Within 2 years due to murder and suicide that number dropped to 125,000. By 1550 only 500 Arawaks remained. The Arawak people came to greet Columbus with gifts and great curiosity. There should not be a holiday for Columbus, or any monster of history for that matter. Today I honor the Arawak People. I remember their trust, bravery, simplicity, and life of peace.

3 comments:

  1. we reject it with you. asia said to me the other day, "how could he do that? that is not a good way to share jesus with them!" its a sad history we have.... but one that needs to be shared!! love ya E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate this post. I am amazed at the forgiving spirits the American Indian people have. There has been so much genocide in this country.

    ReplyDelete