Monday, October 17, 2011

I am a Liberal, Nonviolent (most of the time).

"It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong."  -Abraham Lincoln


Just days ago we learned that President Obama had issued 100 troops to assist in removing Joseph Kony and put an end to the LRA. The verbiage has been pieced apart and the words released from Invisible Children representatives have been criticized, but the fact is, something needs to happen.

I fully understand that 100 advisory troops  can mean the green berea of the US Army if the US is staying on par with past initial global military involvement. I fully understand that there is likely to be lives lost, but there is also great potential of freedom gained. The fact of the matter is that there have been plenty of peaceful attempts to reconcile and bring Joseph Kony into custody, but they have not succeeded.

My father was amongst some of the early advisory troops sent to Vietnam. As a communication operator of the Green Berea 101 Airborne division he served to bring freedom and followed the orders of his country. He was someone's child, my mother's husband, and taxes paid for our countries involvement, but more than all of that he was a man. He desired all people to be free. A lot of American people cowered away or chose to be consumed with their opinions of our countries involvement and allowed fear to paralyze them from bringing any change. For many people that time is a blur. But my dad had courage and served his country. He desired to do the right thing and help bring freedom.

Everyday there is an opportunity to do something for others. We live in a time where information is so accessible. I am going to dare to do the right thing and have courage. As a graduate in Social Science/Alternative History, including courses in African history and history of terrorism, I fully support the necessary step to send 100 advisory troops to Uganda. I believe all other options have been attempted. Knowing the hearts of some of those who work for Invisible Children, I am proud of their labor and courage.

I am still liberal and nonviolent. I am a man who desires all people to be free. One might say, "the apple does not fall far from the tree."

No comments:

Post a Comment