Friday, March 9, 2012

Living without Joseph Kony.


I remember the first time I heard about what was happening to children in Northern Uganda. It was 2006 when someone introduced me to Invisible Children. It broke my heart to know that such atrocities were happening and so little was being done about it. My family and I started to get involved in little ways. Many of our local friends and family circles have been uncomfortable with the topic being brought up around their children. Having spent some time in Transkei, South Africa during the ending of Apartheid, it never fazed me that I should not share with my children the reality of other peoples experiences in the world. I guess it is a comfort and privilege raising children in the United States to guard or "protect" them from the reality of pain, and the evil inflicted on others. My wife and I have navigated the conversation about Joseph Kony, child soldiers, abduction, LRA, and the reason we as a family should be involved with honesty, tears, and open dialogue. I am so proud of my children. They wear their Invisible Children shirts more than any other single clothing item. When people ask, they speak with boldness and the sweet innocence of children wanting to bring change. My oldest daughter said it best, "every child should be able to sleep at home, play with their brothers or sisters, every child should be able to be a child." Living without Joseph Kony will be a dream come true. My youngest asked me today if he (Kony) was gone yet. We all hope and pray that he will surrender and that the children can go home. It is true, the story of the LRA child soldiers is disturbing and stomach turning, but they don't have a choice to censor their life. They are the victims. My family lives with hearts and eyes wide open. My daughters live vibrant, activist lives. It is naive to think that the absence of knowledge of pain in the world will protect a child from the results of a broken world. I am the father of three exceptional humans and we call all the children and families effected by Joseph Kony, "friends." We live for a better world where Joseph Kony surrenders. I hope everyone will be motivated and join us for the freedom of our friends.

2 comments:

  1. Eric. you are my mentor. my friend. my confidant. 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you raise your girls. Our kids know that the world is ugly and that's why we need a savior.

    ReplyDelete