Monday, September 19, 2011

Reapply your lipstick.

after every meal there is a sweet banter exchanged between my parents. my mother pulls out her compact and lipstick. my dad makes some remark or questions the need to apply more. my mom in her flirtatious ton responds, "oh, stop it!" my dad let's out a hearty chuckle, extends his arm, and says, "ah honey, you're beautiful." it is a sweet exchange that has happened after every meal as long as i can remember, but i finally realized how special their love is. it is truly sincere and full. i had the best lunch with them recently. as they interrupted each other and finished the other's story, i sat back, sipped my iced tea, and grinned with great pleasure. they know each other so well. they could have quit a long time ago, but they didn't. so many of their friends did. their generation made it trendy to move on from one marriage to another, but they are elite. my parents are really good people. they have their quirks, but that's what makes us all people. they make choices everyday, and those choices impact the world. the effortless, simple reapplication of lipstick, and the arm extended affection changed the day, and mattered to me. it is good to see my parents as people, it makes me feel more human.

1 comment: