Sunday, January 8, 2012

Solstice to Solstice (3.13) :: COLOR

I acquired this quilt twenty years ago. It was August, I was getting ready to head off to college. It was a foggy summer morning as I drove down Soquel Drive towards Aptos. As I past old homes up the hill from Soquel village, I noticed an elderly lady hanging this quilt out to dry. I was amazed at the sight. She was delicate, yet sturdy. Wearing her floral smock from the 30's, and hair nicely set, she worked gracefully tending to her laundry. The quilt was eye-catching. The colors splashed across the line as it draped over each strung wire. I pulled over and asked the woman if she made the quilt. She proudly, in a soft tone, said yes. I asked if she ever sold her quilts and she told me no. She explained she had made the quilt for her grandson, but he did not like it so she kept it for herself. I asked if she would sell it to me. She had no idea what to charge, and I had no idea what to offer, so I gave her $40 and we were both pleased. It is the best $40 I have ever spent. This quilt is a part of my history now, and someday it will be passed on to my daughters. I use it at home and when I camp in my 1979 VW Westfalia. Right when the word COLOR was put out there for Solstice to Solstice, I thought of this quilt. It is as warm as it is colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment